Goat cheese and bacon-wrapped venison jalapeño poppers off the grill are top notch for any occasion.
We all love deer hunting, but honestly, one of the best parts is eating venison. Even during the heat of the summer, a venison steak can bring me right back to the fall woods. This venison wild game recipe is one of my favorite recipes to date.
Goat cheese and bacon-wrapped venison jalapeño poppers are great for any occasion, especially a tailgate party. However, cook them for your family, by yourself, or for your coworkers and they will taste just as great. These ‘deer poppers’ take a little bit of prep work, but it is well worth it.
Venison backstrap is one of the most coveted pieces of deer meat. In fact, there are only two of them per deer, so I don’t cook just any wild game recipe with venison backstrap. These bacon wrapped jalapeño deer poppers act great as venison appetizers for someone who has never tried deer meat before. The pieces are lean and savory and will make a good first impression.
- 1 venison backstrap
- 6 jalapeño peppers
- 1 block of goat cheese (can be supplemented with cream cheese or cheese mixture)
- 25-30 toothpicks
- 1 package of bacon
1. Heat grill to medium heat
2. Soak 25-30 toothpicks in water
3. Cut venison backstrap lengthwise
4. Cut venison a second time vertically (you should end up with little squares)
5. Chop jalapeños horizontally into small circles and remove seeds
6. Cut goat cheese into 1-inch pieces
7. Cut slices of bacon in half
8. Place one strip of bacon on a flat surface
9. Stack one slice of venison, one slice of jalapeño and one piece of goat cheese on top of the bacon respectively
10. Wrap small slices of bacon around ingredients
11. Remove toothpicks from water
12. Stick toothpick through center of venison popper to hold together
13. Place on grill for 8-10 minutes or until desired pink center
14. Remove venison poppers from grill and let cool for 2-to-3 minutes on a paper towel
15. Serve with your favorite side dish
After preparing the bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers, some people will marinade the poppers in Italian dressing or a sauce of their choosing. I, however, did not do that on this recipe, but feel free to add your own touch.
In fact, this recipe is prime for other big game animals, or even waterfowl too. Check out this mouthwatering bacon-wrapped quail recipe.
For more easy recipes including more venison dishes, click here.
The post Goat Cheese and Bacon Wrapped Venison Jalapeño Poppers appeared first on Wide Open Spaces.
Follow us on Twitter @freaknhunting
Follow us on Instagram @freaknhunting